Do you spend a majority of your work days sitting in a chair? Many of us do, and while we know that sometimes we get back aches or sore muscles from sitting all day, we can’t always do much about it. Or can we? Read on to see our four simple desk stretches for your entire body.
Prolonged sitting can shorten your hamstrings and hip flexors, contribute to neck and low back pain, and even diminish core strength. Without frequent standing and walking breaks, we subject ourselves to a variety of postural changes and medical issues.
We’ve talked before about the negative effects that sitting can have on your body. Today we’re expanding on that and showing you four easy desk stretches to keep the body moving and feeling good throughout the day.
Here are a few tips and desk stretches for office workers
Proper Sitting Ergonomics
Your ankles should be in neutral with feet flat on the floor, knees bent at 90 degrees, hips bent at 90 degrees, trunk in neutral, shoulders in neutral, elbows bent at 90 degrees resting on armrests, wrists in neutral with keyboard directly underneath the hands, and monitor at eye level so your neck remains neutral and relaxed.
It’s recommended to take 5-10 minutes every hour to get up, stretch, and move your body.
As always, if these exercises increase your pain at all, or if they don’t improve your symptoms after a few days, you will probably benefit from a free evaluation with a physical therapist. You can request an appointment here and we’ll reach out to you to schedule.
Office Workers Guide to Stretching & Ergonomics
Video Recap with Desk Stretches
– Seated Hamstring Stretch :: To stretch legs and hamstrings
– Seated Thoracic Rotation Stretch :: To stretch mid section, spine, trunk, and core
– Upper Trapezius Stretch :: Loosen neck and shoulders
– Levator Scapulae Stretch :: Relieve and prevent neck pain
See our other workplace stretches here.
WorkFit Services For Every Industry
Our WorkFit team consults with businesses in the manufacturing, office, and manual labor setting. We offer the following services:
– Corporate Wellness :: Designed to lower employee healthcare costs and reduce sick days. Research has shown that corporate wellness ROI can average $2.71 for every $1 spent. That’s a great return on your investment.
– Functional Capacity Evaluation :: Benefiting employers and employees by assessing a person’s ability to perform their work-related activities, before or after an injury
– Rehabilitative Services :: Safely and smoothly returning to work after an injury
– Worksite Injury Prevention :: Repetitive stress injuries are the largest category of worker injuries, and they’re also the most preventable. We’ll show you how.
One Happy Ergonomic Client
“It’s been a rewarding experience partnering with Northern over the past several years. We initially started working with them to perform ergonomic assessments for employees in both the factory and office setting with great success but, we’re now expanding this program to promote overall good health. The NPT associates understand the mechanics of not only allowing the employee to function properly at work, but to take that knowledge and apply it to their home life and family members. It’s a win-win situation for us at BISSELL.” – Dave G., Manager – Safety & Security, BISSELL
Learn more about our WorkFit services and request a team training session, or schedule a free consultation with a physical therapist.