You have goals to get in shape, but you hit the snooze button instead of hitting the gym. If that sounds familiar, you’re not alone. It’s not uncommon to experience a major difference in your fitness goals versus your fitness realities. A great way to stay on track is to sign up for a race. Once its on paper its much more likely to happen, but if crossing that finish line seems like a lot more than 3.1 miles away, think again. Here are 5 reasons to make a spring 5k your top goal:
1. Running is an awesome workout. Even if you’re just starting out, you’ll burn some serious calories, raise your heart rate, get the blood flowing, and relieve stress.
2. It’s a short race. It might not seem like it on day 1, but in just 8 short weeks you can train for a 5k and triumphantly cross the finish line.
3. Running makes you happy. A runner’s high is real and its caused by the endocrine system in your body. If you’re having a bad day, lace up your sneakers and pound the pavement. After a few minutes you’ll feel so much better than you would have, had you stayed home and eaten a pint of ice cream.
4. Support a great cause. Most organized runs are attached to a specific charity or notable cause. How often do you get the chance to break a sweat, achieve a personal goal, and support a great cause?
5. Crossing the finish line is exhilarating!
How Do I Get Started?
Glad you asked. A couch to 5k program, like our new RunFit 5k training program is great way to start the journey. You’ll be training with a fun group of people who are all beginners, too. Each week we’ll progress in speed and distance, all under the guidance of sports rehab experts. At the end of our 8 week session, we’ll run a 5k together. The feeling you get when you cross that finish line is indescribable, and everyone is there to share in that special moment. If running a 5k is something you never thought you’d be able to do, think again. You can do this, and the time is now. Our RunFit 5k Training Program is starting soon in Grand Rapids and Wayland. Sign up today!