Subscribe

5 Ways to Eliminate Stress

You might think illness is to blame for your nagging headache, frequent insomnia or decreased productivity at work. But what if we told you that the cause just might be stress. Between taking care of the family, responsibilities at work, upcoming holidays, and life in general, it’s easy to see how quickly stress can take over. We’ve got 5 simple ways to reduce stress levels when they hit a high and get you feeling good again.

Treat yourself to some silence
Silence can mean different things to different people. The early hours of the morning, the serenity of the countryside, the few moments after you turn off the motor of your car, or even the simplicity of a clean and tidy room. Do your best to seek out this kind of silence and take a moment to notice – and enjoy it – at least once a day. You deserve it.

Do one thing at a time
Contrary to popular belief, only about 2.5% of people have the ability to effectively focus on more than one task at a time. So for the other 97.5% of us, multi-tasking makes things harder, not easier. Give yourself a break — focus on one thing at a time and you’ll be crossing items off your list faster than you thought you could.

Get Moving 
Virtually any form of exercise, from aerobics to hiking to yoga, can act as a stress reliever. If you’re not an athlete or even if you’re downright out of shape, you can still make a little exercise go a long way toward stress management. Even five minutes of aerobic activity can stimulate anti-anxiety effects. So go for a quick walk around the block, take the stairs up and down a few flights, or do some stretching exercises like head rolls and shoulder shrugs.

5 Ways to Eliminate Stress

Learn how to meditate

Just a few minutes a day can help ease anxiety and alter your neuro pathways, making you more resilient to stress. To get started, simply sit up straight with both feet on the floor. Close your eyes. Focus your attention on reciting — out loud or silently — a positive mantra such as “I feel at peace” or “I love myself.” Place one hand on your belly to sync the mantra with your breaths. Let any distracting thoughts float by like clouds.

5 Ways to Eliminate Stress

Remember the blue sky

When you get in a plane and rise above the clouds, you see that incredible bright panorama of blue sky. The mind is no different; thoughts are like clouds, and although they may build up and even look stormy, the blue sky is there all along. Just remembering this is enough to help you get a little more clarity.

What are your go-to ways to reduce stress? We’d love to know.

Please follow and like us:
5 Ways to Eliminate Stress

Leave a Reply

LATEST NEWS

LOCATIONS

Cedar Springs > 308 S. Main
Coopersville > 25 Conran
Grand Rapids > 4451 Hunsberger
Lowell > 2050 W. Main
Grant > 17615 W. Moore
Sparta > 31 Ida Red
Wayland > 709 West Superior

NEWSLETTER SIGN UP

Get health & wellness tips and invitations to exclusive events, delivered right to your inbox!
Subscribe Now

RSS
Facebook
Google+
https://www.northernpts.com/2014/10/5-ways-to-eliminate-stress/">
Twitter
Pinterest