We all know that exercise is an important part of living a healthy lifestyle. It helps keep your heart healthy, builds strong bones and muscles, and reduces your chances of injury. Plus it just makes you feel better, physically and mentally! But what if you feel that your busy schedule prohibits you from finding the time in the day to fit it in? It turns out that you don’t have to work out for an hour in order for it to be effective; even just a few minutes throughout the day can have an impact. And so can making small changes in your daily routine. The key is to work in aerobic, strength, and flexibility exercises into your day. Following are some ideas to get you started thinking about how you can creatively add more physical activity into your day.
– Break up your day with a brisk walk. Even just ten minutes can leave you feeling re-energized.
– Carry dumbbells when you walk up and down the stairs.
– Take the stairs instead of the elevator, and park farther away from the store or office.
– Invest in some resistance bands and do stretching exercises while watching TV.
– Multitask while exercising. You’d be surprised at what you can do on a treadmill. It’s easy to read a report or catch up on emails from your phone.
Sneak in 2-3 minutes of exercise multiples times in the day; it adds up! Jump rope, do pushups, a set of squats…anything to get your heart rate up.